1981 Yamaha XS650 Cross Chop
Tjeerd of Short Cut Choppers from Ede, The Netherlands, made available these pictures of this bold looking 1981 Yamaha XS650 Bobber that he refers to as a "Cross Chop".
1981 Yamaha XS650 Bobber
Yamaha XS650 Bobber Specifics
Tjeerd listed the following specifics for his Yamaha Bobber:
• Engine: Stock 653cc twin;
• Gearbox Stock 5-speed;
• Shifter: Stock;
• Carburetors: Stock Mikuni's;
• Airfilter: Delo;
• Starter: Kickstart only;
• Exhaust: Handmade by Short Cut Choppers;
• Frame: Stock, modified seatrails by Short Cut Choppers;
• Shocks: Aftermarket 10,2";
• Forks: Stock;
• Handlebars: T-bar, handmade by Short Cut Choppers;
• Risers: Stock;
• Grips: Old style;
• Footpegs: Stock;
• Headlight: Yellow Marchall foglight;
• Rearlight: White contourlight;
• Seat: Handmade by Short Cut Choppers;
• Fender: Ducktail, modified by Short Cut Choppers;
• Gastank: Union, fillercap relocated by Short Cut Choppers;
• Electricbox: Handmade by Short Cut Choppers;
• Front wheel: Stock 19";
• Front tire: Mitas SW-07 Speedway 3.75x19";
• Front brake: Stock Disc;
• Rear wheel: Stock 16";
• Rear tire: Wesa 4.50x16";
• Rear brake: Stock drum;
• Paintwork: Bart @ KustomBart.nl;
• Upholstery: Marcel @ Miller Kustom Upholstery;
• Wiring: Tjeerd / Short Cut.
Note how the yellow Marchall headlight blends in with the paint job!
Straight Bobber or Custom Bobber?
To us, any Bobber is either a Straight Bobber or a Custom Bobber.
For more information, check out the Bobber Republic Info Pages!
The taillight started life as a contour light.
Even with the license plate positioned above the tire, Tjeerd's Bobber still shows maximum rubber. Like a Bobber should!
1981 Yamaha XS650 Engine
The vertical twin XS650 engine looks quite straight and tidy. Her classic styling and sporty image makes this engine a very suitable candidate for Bobber and Chopper conversions.
Those exhaust pipes were handmade by Short Cut Choppers.
Note the reflections in the neatly polished metal engine covers.
Bobber Fuel Tank
These pics of the fuel tank show the quality paint job of this Custom Bobber.
A Bobber's Tail...
That's it! A Bobber's tale...
On Tjeerd's Short Cut Choppers website you can find photos of this XS650 Bobber during the build, including pictures of the modifications of the frame and the fuel tank.